Successful Subject Leadership is an informative, practical course which will support subject and curriculum leaders in fulfiling their role to a high standard.
Date: Wednesday 11th November & Wednesday 2nd December
Time: 9.30am - 12.00pm
Venue: Online training, run via Zoom
Trainers: Faye Heming & Sarah Rawet-Smith, School Support Solutions
Cost: £120(+VAT) per delegate for both sessions
- Middle leaders
- Subject leaders
- Teachers aspiring towards subject leadership
- Aimed at primary schools
Benefits of attending
Subject leaders are expected to draw upon a wide range of skills and knowledge every day. In addition to being an expert in the subject(s) you lead, you need to be an inspirational, effective leader who drives forward your subject’s agenda in school. Ofsted’s Education Inspection Framework places high importance on the quality of education and subject leaders play a vital role in developing and sequencing the curriculum to ensure pupils are gaining long-term knowledge and skills. For many, subject leadership is the first step on the road to career development and leadership, so investing in your own leadership skill set is a vital step in building a successful long-term career.
Successful subject leadership is a crucial element in securing high quality teaching and learning in school. This course will introduce subject leaders to a range of effective strategies, approaches and core knowledge that will help you to excel in this essential role. We will explain how subject leaders can check subject content is planned and delivered progressively and explore an essential range of monitoring strategies.
The course aims include the following:
- understand the key roles and responsibilities of subject leadership which align with the Education Inspection Framework;
- know how to communicate your subject curriculum to a range of stakeholders;
- explore a range of monitoring activities and understand when each should be best used;
- understand how to check your subject curriculum to ensure content is progressive and sequential;
- know how to create an effective action plan, which will drive improvements in your subject;
- appreciate how best to provide constructive feedback to your colleagues.
To gain the most from this course please ensure you have access to medium-term plans and action plans for the subject you lead. It would also be beneficial to have 2 or 3 pupils’ books from a different class to the one you teach so that you can undertake guided monitoring activities.
This is an updated course which aligns with the Education Inspection Framework.