What is the Cornwall Music Education Hub?
The Cornwall Music Education Hub (CMEH) is a partnership of music and arts organisations, both local and national, who work together to support quality musical learning for all children and young people in Cornwall. The partnership is led by Cornwall Council and is funded by the Department for Education through Arts Council England to lead the strategic development of Music Education across Cornwall.
What does the Hub do?
The Hub is not a music service. We do not employ any music teachers and do not deliver instrumental lessons. We are a small team which commissions and organises activities, events and projects:
- Provide grants to schools for whole class instrumental teaching (First Access)
- Offer a subsidy scheme for music lessons
- Manage a large stock of instruments for individuals and schools to hire
- Provide musical progression routes in the form of support for regional ensembles and the Hub managed county orchestras and choirs
- Fund school cluster projects around songwriting and composition, often in conjunction with partners
- Organise inspirational and engaging large scale events such as Songfest and Hubbub
- Introduce young people to a wide range of musical genres through workshops and masterclasses, from African drumming to music production
- Fund specialists to provide support to schools where needed
- Provide CPD and training opportunities for music teachers and non-specialists.